Saturday, October 6, 2007

"Catbook" and People without Pets

I had to laugh to myself recently when I was on facebook when I noticed "catbook". Now I am just presuming most people have some idea about what facebook is so I won't go into explaining it, but I found it somewhat amusing to discover this new application of catbook. You basically create a profile for your cat and it can then request to be friends with other cats! Somehow I don't think my cat will be up at midnight requesting to be friends with the cat next door on 'catbook'....

Another concept I have been thinking about has been how many people actually DON'T have pets. One of my friends was over at my house the other day to work on a group assignment and when one of my cats Tuna came vocally strolling into the room she wasn't quite sure how to act around her and seemed almost uncomfortable. I explained to her that I have been doing research for my blog topic on the psychological effects of having a pet. She then revealed to me that she had never had a pet when she was growing up (or now for that matter) and she said she really doesn't know how to interact with pets, how to hold them and she said she even feels awkward patting them!

For me this was quite shocking, because from my first memories we have always had cats as pets and I think I would have grown up to be a very different person if I had not had pets. I feel that they really enhance my life through what may seem like trivial things to some people. From the first thing in the morning after the alarm goes off, I get a big miaow and cuddle from Tuna and when I arrive home at night there's both Tuna and Serj sitting in the driveway waiting to greet me. I was at home sick recently and both of them stayed snuggled on the end of the bed as if they were looking after me.

Even when I go to my parents house, Muffin will still greet me as I pull into the driveway (although she was a little bitter for a while after I moved out and ignored me..). The love you get from your pets is unconditional love, and no matter how bad your day has been you know that when you arrive home those furry little friends will be there in the driveway waiting to greet you with a big miaow and a cuddle.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Neill said...

OMG! Catbook, dogbook, I had no idea!!

I think you're on to something with unconditional love - I find animals are so patient with us human beings. They don't seem to bear any grudges and are incredibly forgiving.

Have you had any luck with finding out about the notion of 'biophilia'?

Adeva said...

Hi Erin,

I have to say I completely agree with your assessment on what is like to have a pet (cat in particular). I have found its great to have a cat because there is always someone happy to see you when you get home! My cat sleeps beside my bed and when I am home spends most of her time sitting with me when I'm studying or, if I am outside in the garden, she'll engage me in play.

The other interesting thing I find about pets and unconditional love is that pets will never reject you, like people sometimes do, for not 'wearing the right clothes' or wearing your hair the right way. They love you even when you're having 'daggy' days at home!

Cheers

Yasuko said...

Hi Erin

I agree with you. I cannot think of life without pets (for me, especially cats). I am wondering if there are differences in people’s attitudes or emotional commitments towards pets, or the psychological effects that pets have on people, in different cultures. This is because, for example, when my mother lost her dog, she not only grieved but also took some trouble to make a grave for her (the dog). This act is not unusual in Japan. Many temples provide people with graves for their pets, and may also perform a religious ritual, a sort of funeral. How are you regarding pets in terms of their relationship (as a family member, like a child, just a pet without personification, etc.)?

Cheers,

Yasuko